Pages

Tuesday 3 March 2015

The Fitness Diaries: WEEK 2

This week's theme: Healthy Swaps.
YESSSSSSSS. Week 1 is officially over. And I stuck to it! OK, so I didn't go to the gym that much, but I DID find my pedometer and walked between 9 and 12000 steps a day, which is right where I want to be.

My target was to go to the gym twice last week and then just do a healthy amount of walking a day. So I commuted into Liverpool by train and walked, I got the farthest parking spots at university, and even walked between campuses instead of driving (impressed? You should be.) If I wasn't happy with the amount of steps I'd done that day, I'd either go for a quick walk in the evening, or walk up and down the stairs if it was raining and I was close to my target, that isn't cheating by the way.

As for the gym, I haven't been overdoing it, in fact personally I think I've been underdoing it. Before I decided to start the Fitness Diaries, I went back to the gym for the first time in about a month and a half. I wanted to start slow and not burn out, but once I got on the treadmill, I felt like I wasn't pushing myself enough so I cranked up the gradient and the speed aaaaaand I threw up. Yep, like actually threw up in the gym, classy right? What did I do next? Went right back to working out! Pushing myself like that really wasn't my finest moment. So this week I just took it slow. Jogged for 15 mins and walked for 5 mins on the treadmill. Then did 5k on the bikes and had a quick 5-10 mins on the rowing machine and the stairmaster. Second workout I took it a little further, jogged for 15 minutes, walked for 5 and jogged for 10. Then did 5k on the bikes, 10 minutes on the rowing machine and 10 minutes on the stairmaster.

Now let's talk food and drink. I STARTED my healthy swaps, meaning I haven't cut everything that's bad for me out. My super sweet coffee has gone (let's just take a moment) and has been replaced by green tea with 1/2 tsp of honey. My beloved dr pepper has gone and been replaced with water, although I do treat myself by having 1 glass of mango juice after dinner. Furthermore, I try to drink 2 litres of water a day, but it's hard to keep tabs on that. As for food, I don't think I was necessarily eating unhealthy things, I just wasn't eating enough. Now I actually get up really early and eat breakfast every day (usually wholemeal toast with banana or yogurt and granola) and I have 5 pieces of fruit or veg along with that too.

This week my goal is to increase the amount of water I'm drinking to at least 2 litres a day, and beat my times for 5k on the treadmill and bikes. I'm going to try to go to the gym 3 times this week, but I won't be upset if I only go twice as I have a massive essay due in on Thursday. To motivate myself, I pack my gym bag every morning so and keep a pair of trainers by the door so I can just get up and go whenever I feel like it.
Talk to you in next week's post!
CJ x

If you missed Week 1's post, find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment